[Fwd: Re: [developers] processing of lexical rules]

Emily M. Bender ebender at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 11 19:06:40 CET 2005

Hi Berthold,

It's true that the cases I am most concerned with involve a single
linguist or team of linguists doing both morphological and syntactic
work.  (I'm working towards software tools to aid field linguists
in language documentation.)

If you're using someone else's morphological analyzer, I guess
it would be relatively common to find that there are things in the
output which are irrelevant from the grammar's point of view.
Adding a mapping from the output you get to the input you want
seems like a sensible approach in that case.  Did it in fact turn
out to be cumbersome with Morphix?

Emily