[Fwd: Re: [developers] processing of lexical rules]

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at dfki.de
Sat Feb 12 23:14:02 CET 2005

Ann Copestake wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I think that we should keep supporting simple morphological analysis in the LKB
>(as well as external mporphological analysers) and we can still use the string
>unification approach,

To me, this is good news, since I feel there are so many advantages  for
having an integrated solution...
To be honest, with the exception of compounding, I find the current
functionality sufficient to deal with German (even with Umlaut). The
treatment  of particle verbs ([VCOMP <[ab-part]>] -> %prefix (* ab)
[VCOMP <>] , and so on for all the other particles) would of course
benefit from the existence of a concatenation operator, but is still
seems a great improvement over having double lexical entries.

>but the code will need to be rewritten.  Here are my
>current thoughts.
>
>I'm now sure that we need to go to an architecture where there are just charts
>and feature structures.  Preprocessing is defined to return a chart
>instantiated with feature structures (expressed in XML for the external
>preprocessors).

Bernd has done some work on XML-based input chart initialisation for
cheap, as used in the HoG, so it might be nice to keep these efforts in
parallel.

>It can be coupled with morphological analysis in the case
>where we have external morphological analysers.  In this case it should be
>possible to support a word syntax approach or an approach where the affixes
>correspond to lexical rules.
>
>As far as the LKB internal morphology goes, I think the first thing to
>appreciate is that morphological processing in analysis is inherently weird -
>we have to take the morphologically complex string and split it into stem plus
>affixes and then we do the FS unifications corresponding to the rules.  Right
>now, what happens is that the string unifications associated with a rule
>operate in one direction, with no associated feature structures, and when the
>stem plus affix strings are found, we replay the rules in the other direction,
>doing the feature structure unifications.  This can lead to a huge search space
>and also requires lots of hacky code so that we can put edges on the chart.

Certainly I am not the one to comment on the intrinsics of the code, but
the rule filter approach that Bernd has implemented in cheap does a good
job eliminating loads of useless segmentation hypotheses. As it is done
now, it requires the spelling rules to be organised in one contiguous
block, though. (For the German grammar this is not much of a problem,
since this had been the case before anyway.)
I can send some details on the reduction  in search space, if anyone is
interested.

However, as I  have hinted at in one of my previous mails, this need not
be the case, if we used two rule filters: one for all rules, and an
auxiliary one for spelling rules, which only considered a feature
structure under some  configurable path. It would then become possible
to restrict the feeding/bleeding order of spelling rules, which, if set
up properly, can be computed statically.

Although this may sound somewhat hackish, just think of level ordering
in Lexical Phonology...

Your remarks concerning restrictors appear to point in a similar direction.

Cheers,

Berthold