[developers] Re: Morphological ambiguity and xfst-lkb interface

Francis Bond bond at cslab.kecl.ntt.co.jp
Mon Apr 11 11:11:27 CEST 2005

G'day,

>> I'm curious what :cto and :cfrom (properties of morph-edge
>> and chart-edge) are, especially since chart-edge also has
>> :from :to.  I couldn't find any enlightening comments...
>>
> :cto and :cfrom came in when we discussed the combination of shallow and
> deep NLP in DeepThought. The meaning is the character position of the
> relations in the RMRS, such that the modules can communicate.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether :cfrom and :cto are
token or character positions.  The current cheap output appears to be
token-based (pet-0.99.7 with a recent JACY) but I think the HoG demo
(at least the English) uses character positions (starting from 0).

ChaSen uses bytes, which is really annoying as you get different
results depending on the encoding.

--
Francis Bond  <www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/icl/mtg/members/bond/>
NTT Communication Science Laboratories | Machine Translation Research Group