[developers] generation/224: additional generator trigger rule facility

Stephan Oepen oe at csli.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jun 28 22:26:43 CEST 2005

howdy,

we received a feature request within our LOGON project that i now think
could be of wider interest.  i forward the original message and a first
reply from ann below.  comments will be welcome!

the underlying notion of dependencies that hold between lexical entries
(or EPs in MRSs) reminds me of the chart dependencies discussion, which
i admit i have yet to read in full detail.

ann, i believe what you are proposing can be conceived as caching the
results of running FS-based trigger rules, e.g. once i provide this way
of spelling out dependency patterns in a declarative manner, there is
the choice of having these invoked off-line and recording the resulting
dependencies in one form or another.  for me, it remains important that
ERG users (e.g. people with a LOGON installation) can generate without
their own lexical database.

--- i think i will go back to the chart dependencies discussion now and
hope to follow up with an enlightened version eventually ...

                                                        cheers  -  oe

+++ Universitetet i Oslo (ILN); Boks 1102 Blindern; 0317 Oslo; (+47) 2285 7989
+++     CSLI Stanford; Ventura Hall; Stanford, CA 94305; (+1 650) 723 0515
+++       --- oe at csli.stanford.edu; oe at hf.uio.no; stephan at oepen.net ---

[--- start of forwarded message ---]