[developers] minor LKB code changes

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at dfki.de
Fri Sep 23 16:19:17 CEST 2005

Berthold Crysmann wrote:

> Ann Copestake wrote:

>> change to interface for `Apply all lex rules'.  info re algebra code
>>
>> Details:
>>
>> I have changed the interface function `Apply all lex rules' that can
>> be called
>> from a display of a lexical entry.  Originally this produced separate
>> windows
>> for each new feature structure - a very bad idea with a reasonable
>> number of
>> lexical rules.
>
>> A couple of years ago, I changed it so it produced a summary of
>> applications in a window with the format `lex-d + rule (+ rule)* =
>> new orth'.
>> It applied recursively and was controlled only by
>> *maximal-lex-rule-applications*.  But this is also a bad idea for
>> grammars such
>> as the current ERG, which now have a rather large fanout of
>> punctuation rules
>> given that *maximal-lex-rule-applications* is set to 7 by default (and I
>> believe that's fine for applying the morphology in the usual way).
>> So the
>> interface now does not attempt recursive application, but the user
>> can click on
>> a result and manually call `Apply all lex rules' again, and can
>> repeat this as
>> often as desired.

Could this behaviour be toggled? Or configured by some variable? In the
German grammar orthography
is done by a cascade of spelling rules, and I would like to be able to
quickly check whether the intended form is amongst those generated...
But, I can also imagine that I would not want all surface forms all the
time...

Berthold