[developers] top-level cfrom/cto values in xml always -1

Bernd Kiefer kiefer at dfki.de
Mon Oct 10 17:37:23 CEST 2005

> Is this generally agreed?
Yes.

In my opinion, these position should always refer to positions in the
original document, no matter what preprocessing units were allowed to
add or delete stuff. It doesn't matter a great deal to me since these
position have to be specified for PET anyway from the outside (using
the XML input), or counting the character positions itself (locally for
every sentence) if the input is a string.

I'm sorry i launched such an avalanche with a (to me) seemingly
harmless matter.

Something that gives me a lot more headache is the fact that the
"characterization" is not done in the grammars via feature transport,
but with a piece of code i would rather not admit to have written
because it's such a kludge. But maybe those kludges are more accepted
in the processor's than in the grammar's code :-)

Best,
        Bernd

Bernd Kiefer                                            Am Blauberg 16
kiefer at dfki.de                                      66119 Saarbruecken
+49-681/302-5301 (office)                      +49-681/3904507  (home)