[developers] PET on 64-bit Architectures

Eric Nichols eric-n at is.naist.jp
Tue Jan 10 01:57:19 CET 2006

Greetings,

I have been trying to get PET working on 64 bit machines and am
experiencing a few problems
getting it to compile with RMRS support. On 32 bit architectures, I have
been able to compile
successfully using ECL versions 0.9d and 0.9e, however, ECL versions
older than 0.9g will not
compile due to an obscure G++ bug. Thus, before attempting to build PET
on a 64 bit platform,
I am focusing my efforts on getting PET building on a 32 bit machine
using the latest version of
ECL (0.9h). This version claims to support G++ 4.0 and 64 bit platforms,
but it also contains
several changes to the C-Lisp interface which I fear may have broken the
RMRS code. I have
attached a log of the error messages I get when I compile. My system is
as follows:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz with HyperThreading
Operating System: Ubuntu Linux "Breezy"
Kernel: 2.6.12
Compiler: G++ 4.0.2
ECL: version 0.9h
RMRS source: LKB 20051116 release
PET source: 0.99.7 main branch + patch

I am applying a patch that I wrote to make the mrs.h file by calling ECL
which builds its from the
RMRS source since rmrs.h is no longer distributed with LKB.

It appears that ECL is able to generate all of the C code correctly. The
errors start with:

In file included from /usr/lib/ecl/h/ecl.h:62,
                 from petecl.c:22:
/usr/lib/ecl/h/object.h:40: error: syntax error before ‘cl_narg’

Line 22 of petecl.c is #include <ecl.h>. Simply including it is enough
to generate errors.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable about LISP
could look into this.

Eric Nichols <eric-n at is.naist.jp>