[developers] PET compilation

Ben Waldron benjamin.waldron at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 11:22:42 CET 2006

I've now succeeded in installing PET (pet-0.99.7) from the source code
on both our 32- and 64-bit machines. I encountered a number of
difficulties on the way:

- (the ICU URL is incorrect in 'pet-0.99.7/README')
- ECL 0.9e would not compile on any of our machines; ECL 0.9h would
compile, but caused PET compilation itself to fail until I applied
"Bernd's patch":
    * rename 'lib/h/config.h' to 'lib/h/ecl_config.h'
    * edit the files 'lib/h/ecl.h' and 'lib/h/ecl-cmp.h' to #include
<ecl_config.h> in place of #include <config.h>
- to avoid problems running PET's configure script I found it most
straightforward to manually set CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
For example: the configure script could not find the boost libraries
when they were compiled from source (this is because the configure
script always adds '/include' to the boost path given via
'--with-boost=DIR').
- having compiled PET, it proceeded to crash at startup. To avoid this
apply "oe's patch":
    * replace the appropriate section of
'pet-0.99.7/common/chunk-alloc.cpp' with

	  #if defined(linux)
	  #define _MMAP_ANONYMOUS
	  #define _CORE_LOW  0x50000000
	  #define _CORE_HIGH 0xbf429fff