[developers] Wish for scoped MRSs in the LKB

Francisco Costa fcosta at di.fc.ul.pt
Thu May 11 15:02:03 CEST 2006

Hi,

I would like to send in a wish for the LKB.

As far as I can tell from experimenting with it, asking for scoped MRSs
does not perform unification operations on the handles that end up being
merged.

I'm trying to do the following. When you have a sentence like `all men
love a certain woman', the existential quantifier must outscope the
universal one. So I tried this: (1) add a feature SCOPE to handles, of a
type *scope* which has two subtypes *widest* and *non-widest*, (2)
constrain the LBL of the `a certain' quantifier to have SCOPE *widest*
and (3) constrain the BODY of the `all' quantifier to have a SCOPE
*non-widest*.
They do not unify (and manual unification in the AVMs fails), so I was
hoping that the reading *all_q(x1, ..., a+certain_q(x2, ..., ...))*
would not come up when you ask for scoped MRSs, but it does. Using
subtypes of *handle* instead (no feature SCOPE) doesn't do it either.

Is it possible/feasible to have an algorithm for scoped MRSs that
performs unifications on handles? I think I've read somewhere that it's
already exponential on the number of NPs, but I guess feature structures
of type *handle* will never be very big.

Thank you in advance,

Francisco Costa