[developers] Wish for scoped MRSs in the LKB

Francisco Costa fcosta at di.fc.ul.pt
Fri May 12 13:03:29 CEST 2006

Emily M. Bender wrote:
> Does this solution scale to cases with more than two quantifiers?

I believe it might. You would be saying that everything but `a certain'
has a BODY with SCOPE *non-widest* (and so `a certain' must outscope
them all), perhaps with the exception of quantifiers of proper names and
pronouns, for which you might want to assign even wider scope (and you
would need a more sophisticated hierarchy under *scope*). You would not
say anything about the BODY of `a certain', otherwise you can't have
multiple instances of `a certain'. But I can't test it for obvious
reasons, so...

But my point was not the analysis itself, but rather that it might be
interesting if grammar writers could put constraints on handles in order
to constrain scope, in that for me it is really intuitive that handle
variables that can represent the same handle should be unifiable, and
the ones that are not unifiable should not be able to stand for the same
thing. I was not asking for this so that this particular analysis can be
implemented, but because I think it is what you would expect to be
happening, and so it would be a general improvement.

Francisco Costa