[developers] [spr30362] bug using climxm

Ben Waldron bmw20 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 13 14:46:13 CEST 2006

Hi Andreas -

Thanks for this email. Unfortunately, the patch is not working for us:

1. I compile and load the patch, then load/compile our application
2. I open the "Parse Sentence" window. This is the window in which it
should be possible to enter text for the sentence to be parsed. Upon
opening this window I receive the following message:

Warning: Missing charsets: ISO10646-1, GB2312.1980-0, KSC5601.1987-0,
creating
         fontset for

-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-jisx0201.1976-0,-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-140-jisx0208.1983-0,-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-p-56-iso8859-1,

3. I am able to enter non-latin characters if I run a command in the
Emacs Lisp buffer. Eg.

(do-parse-tty "læreren kommer på lørdag")

4. I try to paste the following into the Parse Sentence window:

læreren kommer på lørdag

All that appears in the window is a single lower case 'l'. I receive the
following messages:

Warning: Xt:
    Name: xmTextField
    Class: XmTextField
    Character '\346' not supported in font.  Discarded.

Warning: Xt:
    Name: xmTextField
    Class: XmTextField
    Character '\345' not supported in font.  Discarded.

Warning: Xt:
    Name: xmTextField
    Class: XmTextField
    Character '\370' not supported in font.  Discarded.

HOWEVER when I click OK to send the contents of this window to our
application the full text "læreren kommer på lørdag" is sent. The parse
window for this sentence appears. This window displays correctly (the
characters æåø are visible) except for the title. In the title "lreren
kommer p lrdag" these non-latin characters are missing.

5. I open the Parse Sentence window again. I again receive the above
'Character ... nor supported' messages. I try to type the following
directly into the Parse Sentence window:

læreren kommer

The 'æ' character is not displayed (only "lreren kommer"). I click OK
and receive the following message:

Warning: Xt:
    Name: xmTextField
    Class: XmTextField
    Character '\346' not supported in font.  Discarded.

The input received by our application is "lreren kommeræ".

The initial locale when I start the Lisp is normally.

CL-USER(2): excl:*locale*
#<locale "C" [:LATIN1-BASE] @ #x441b482a>

This is later reset to the following by our application:

LKB(6): excl:*locale*
#<locale "C" [:UTF8-BASE] @ #x44f2cc5a>

However I get the same behaviour (described above) no matter whether the
locale is set to "C" [:UTF8-BASE] after loading out application, before
command-line argument). I'm running Ubuntu Dapper linux.

Thanks for the help,
- Ben