[developers] PET/ERG frontend

Valia Kordoni kordoni at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
Mon Feb 5 08:08:06 CET 2007

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, R. Bergmair wrote:

[snip]

> > Otherwise, Yi Zhang has a mature type-guessing
> > solution for unknown words which is properly integrated with PET,
> > so you might like to talk to him.

Thanks, Tim.

> Thanks for the hint! I'll do that.

This lexical type predictor, which is fully integrated with PET, as Yi has
mentioned before, is already extended to account for Multi-Word
Expressions (MWEs), as well. 2 publications that might be interesting:

1. Yi Zhang and Valia Kordoni. 2006. Automated Deep Lexical Acquisition
for Robust Open Texts Processing. In Proceedings of LREC-2006, pp. 275-280,
May 2006, Genoa, Italy. (the paper may also be downloaded from
http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~kordoni/date-publ.html)

2. Yi Zhang, Valia Kordoni, Aline Villavicencio and Marco Idiart. 2006.
Automated Multiword Expression Prediction for Grammar Engineering. In
Begona Villada Moiron, Aline Villavicencio, Diana McCarthy, Stefan Evert
and Susanne Stevenson (eds.), Proceedings of the COLING/ACL 2006 Workshop
on Multiword Expressions: Identifying and Exploiting Underlying
Properties, Sydney, Australia, July 2006, Association for Computational
Linguistics. (the paper is to be downloaded from ACL Anthology:
http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu/W/W06/W06-1206.pdf)

The work reported in this latter paper is still ongoing work. There are
more recent results, which we can discuss, if there is interest. We are
writing them up at the moment.

Finally, the lexical type predictor has been used in experiments we ran
with colleagues from Johns Hopkins University last December with speech
data (the Fisher corpus, mainly) with very good results.

Valia