[developers] Qs: How to check the feature structure under S

Ann Copestake Ann.Copestake at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 15:01:01 CET 2007

oe at csli.Stanford.EDU said:
> thus i see no need for a change in the display (or definition of what effect
> these rules should have on parsing results).

sorry, I should have been clearer - I am sure you can fix this, but since the
topic has been raised, it's an opportunity to think about it.  The ORTH stuff
is unjustified in terms of the FS formalism.  The idea was it approximated the
Pollard and Sag sketch where there's a function from stem to inflected form,
but that account doesn't really reflect what's going on (and in fact is
formally inadequate anyway). (The fact that the code needs a special case to
instantiate ORTH is a direct reflection of the fact that formally the
morphophonology is in a different constraint space.)  I don't know how you
explain what happens to your students but, for me, it's a bit of an issue.  If
everyone is happy to leave it the way it is, that's fine.