[developers] boring though important: generalizing characterization

Ann Copestake Ann.Copestake at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 14:53:53 CEST 2007

this proposal appears to be missing the generalised notion of character ranges
that we require for XML input - i.e., the combination of xpath with character
position.  The token lattice notion is _not_ adequate for our purposes, given
that we require a general notion of standoff annotation that can work with
multiple tokenisations (and indeed, for processing that is not token based).
Uli and Ben have both done extensive work on this.