[developers] `fragmented' scoping MRSs

Ann Copestake Ann.Copestake at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 20:48:40 CEST 2008

Having a RSTR value specified by semantic composition is fairly basic
to the way I've understood generalised quantifiers, but people with
more expertise might be able to point at counterexamples.  More
concretely, if there's an empty RSTR value, then all that the scoping
code would be able to do with quantifiers would be to produce variants
with different distributions of the EPs between the RSTR and the BODY.
e.g., it would be like saying there's a language where you can have
{teach sleep every} and get the readings `every teacher sleeps' and
`every sleeper teaches' (or whatever).  Would this be the desired
behaviour?  If it only happens with cases where the RSTR/SCOPE
distinction is irrelevant to the models (like `some' under the
non-zero set interesection interpretation), this would also be an
interesting finding.

Best,

Ann