[developers] coreference problem fixed

Emily M. Bender ebender at u.washington.edu
Fri Aug 15 01:32:05 CEST 2008

Dear Bernd and Peter,

I have had a chance to test out the new pet and the problem does
indeed seem to be fixed.  Many thanks!  This will speed up grammar
development considerably :)

I am left with a few diffs between pet and lkb profiles at this point,
but on spot checking, it appears that those that don't relate to differing
time-out conditions all have to do with a difference in the way morphology
is handled: When there is ambiguity in the orthographic subrules,
the LKB finds multiple derivations that all involve exactly the same
lexical rules (and lexical entries and phrase structure rules).  In this
case, I'd rather not see pet adapt to what the LKB is doing.

Thanks for the warning on the other coref issue.  As long as
that doesn't also apply to cases like the following, it shouldn't
be too hard to avoid:

type1 := supertype &
 [F1 #co1 & [F2 val],
  F3 #co1 ].