[developers] problem with loading pangolui

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 10 12:52:39 CEST 2008

Hello,

I was trying to setup pangolui so Japanese font rendering would work
in LUI output, but came across a small problem. When I start the LKB
emacs through M-x logon, it seems that the LUI environment variable is
disregarded and the default yzlui is used instead.

Here's how I set it up: I followed the instructions at
http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/LkbLui for "Alternate LUI
implementations" and copied Pavel Mihaylov's binary to the appropriate
directory in the Logon tree, made it executable, set the environment
variable LUI=pangolui in .bashrc, and restarted the bash terminal.
Having done that, I fired up the LKB with the Jacy grammar and tried
parsing a sentence, but the output does not correctly render the
characters. The lkb variable *lui-application* also shows that is

With some help from Francis Bond and a valid license for Lisp, running
the lkb by loading lisp and then loading the lkb (with the command
(rsa "jacy")) results in an LKB instance using pangolui. Perhaps the
compiled Logon is deciding which LUI to use when it is compiled?

Francis points out that for those of us who want to run the
magnificent logon binary (i.e. those without a LISP licence), and use
the beautiful pangolui (to display e.g. Korean or Japanese) together,
one can call M-x logon, and then specify pangolui: (lkb:lui-initialize
:lui "pangolui") will work (assuming pangolui is where it should be).

--
-Michael Wayne Goodman