[developers] ACL running out of memory

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 31 06:37:03 CET 2008

I was running a batch process that parsed and generated from the
Tanaka Corpus with Jacy.  Before it parsed 1/5 of the items Lisp ran
out of memory and quit. This is not a terribly underpowered machine
(Dual 3.2Ghz P4, 2Gb, Ubuntu 8.04), so I wonder if there's something
else going on. I'm a little concerned about memory leaks, but that's
probably not the only culprit here.

Here is an excerpt from the log where it failed (starting at line 886
of the attached log file):
-----
Error: An allocation request for 48 bytes caused a need for 210501632
       more bytes of heap.  The operating system will not make the
       space available because of a lack of swap space or some other
       operating system imposed limit or memory mapping collision.
  [condition type: STORAGE-CONDITION]

Restart actions (select using :continue):
 0: Return to Top Level (an "abort" restart).
 1: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
[1] TSNLP(27): :pop
[t4000c] total elapsed parse time 35.700s; 281 items; avg time per item 0.1270s
-----

I attached the full log file of the process and the lisp command executed.

Has anybody else run into a similar problem, and are there any workarounds?

Thanks

--
-Michael Wayne Goodman