[developers] Weird GUI behavior on new ubuntu machine

Eric Nichols ericnichols79 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 08:32:00 CET 2009

Greetings,

I have also experienced this under Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10. For me the
font sizes are fine on my Macbook's monitor, but ridiculously large
when displayed on an external monitor. Francis and I played around
with the GUI font sizes hardcoded in logon/lingo/lkb/src/main/
globals.lsp and were able to make the font sizes a bit more bearable,
but I suspect the problem has something to do with how monitor DPIs
are handled under the VM.

The X font errors are an orthogonal issue. I started having trouble a
few months back and eventually tracked it down to the presence of a
truetype font. Uninstalling the font in question got rid of the error
messages for me, but that might not be an option for you if you need
support for that language. I believe Francis and Michael eventually
discovered that the Ubuntu font packages causing this error were
missing a necessary setting file and reported a bug with Ubuntu. I am
attaching a mail from the Logon list with more info.

Eric

P.S. I wanted to link to this message, but couldn't find an archive of logon at emtee.net
Am I correct in assuming that it is not currently being archived on
the web?