[developers] What errors can cause a grid parse reranking process to return an empty scores file?

Bill McNeill (UW) billmcn at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 27 02:56:19 CET 2009

I'm trying to run the grid* parse reranking scripts in
~/logon/lingo/redwoods/ to reranking English parses in the jhpstg corpus.
Many of the reranker configurations are failing, and I want to understand if
their particular mode of failure is familiar to others who have done this
work.

I am running many different grid* files in parallel using the Condor
distributed computing system.  On my latest round of jobs, all of my Condor
jobs completed, but when I look at the directories created under
~/logon/lingo/redwoods/tsdb/home, I find that most of them have empty score
files.  I take the empty score files to be a sign that something didn't
work.

I suspect the problem is that the reranking jobs require more RAM than my
Condor nodes have installed.  However, were the machine to run out of RAM, I
would expect the ./load --binary grid* process to die, and this fact to
register in the Condor logs.  The fact that this is not happening makes me
wonder if there's something else going on that I haven't thought of.

Have other people run the grid reranker and ended up with empty score
files?  If so what was the problem?

--
Bill McNeill
http://staff.washington.edu/billmcn/index.shtml