[developers] Partial success with unicode fonts

Francis Bond fcbond at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 07:27:52 CET 2009

G'day,

I am afraid I don't use ISO-8859-1, so don't know much about your problems.

> a few weeks ago I posted a question regarding unicode fonts in  LKB/LOGON.
>
> Meanwhile I have partial success with display of unicode characters in
> LOGON: if the ISO-10646-1 encoded font appears before the ISO-8859-1 font in
> my font path, display of unicode characters works at *standard* display size
> (Helvetica, Roman 12pt).
>
> What does not work at present is:
>
> 1. Display of bold face.
>
> - Simple MRS
> - Chart display
> - Leaf nodes in tree display
> - Values (e.g. ORTH) in feature structures
>
> 2. Display of sizes other than 12pt
>
> - Input dialogues (Parse|Parse input, View|Word entries)
>
> 3. Display in LUI
>
>         - yzlui does not show the glyphs
>         - pangolui has layout problems (bar only displays lower half of each
> char)

I also have problems with this --- basically it thinks the fonts are
half as tall as they are.

> 2. Is it possible to fix font initialisation on the LKB side? Or is that an
> upstream CLIM bug?
>
> If it is an LKB problem, who would be able to fix it? I can provide the
> fonts (with installation instructions) and some description to reproduce the
> bug. Anything else needed?
>
> If it is a problem with CLIM, can you pass this bug report on to Franz? If
> you need any more detail, please let me know.

I am pretty sure that most of these issues are CLIM bugs.

--
Francis Bond <http://www2.nict.go.jp/x/x161/en/member/bond/>
NICT Language Infrastructure Group