[developers] LKB on Windows

R. Bergmair rb432 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 19 20:08:00 CEST 2009

I have a webserver with root-access, which I rent privately
from a provider in Germany, and I'd be happy to use it to host
the `http://lingo.stanford.edu/ftp/' repository.

I should warn you, that I don't have any automatic backup
strategies in place or anything.  Furthermore, I don't have
the time or expertise necessary to take on the role Stephan
is suggesting.  I was more thinking along the lines of giving
FTP and SSH access (if necessary also root access) to the
person -- god have mercy on his soul -- who does want to take
the job, if this is at all useful to them.

On that note, can I throw in a related 'policy' question?

Am I the only one here who thinks that Franz is completely, and
entirely, evil?  Or have I just been hanging out with open source
idealists too much?  If I were you, I wouldn't pay these guys
another penny beyond what is absolutely necessary.

You have to forgive me that, at this point, as I'm physically
and psychologically incapable of resisting my natural inclination
to blurt out half-baked ideas, and speak, completely out of turn,
my mind on issues that are probably sensitive enough, as it is.

But let me try to explain.

A great deal of complexity in this software and the related
deployment process is due to the technical heterogeneity both
of the DELPH-IN components themselves, and of the platforms
out there running them.  And I really don't envy the job of
"build manager", who has to single-handedly bridge the gap
between users to whom this should all appear as a
well-integrated monolithic whole, and the "ownership of code"
sort of division of labour in the development process.

On the other hand: A vast majority of the users (especially
first-time users) out there have quite homogeneous user needs
that are probably easy to anticipate.  "I'm trying to write
a toy grammar for Swahili using the LKB.  I'd like to measure
how long the PET really takes to process sentences under
certain conditions, compared to my own parser.  I'd like
to do my good deed for the day and do some treebanking with
TSDB.  I'm really intrigued by this whole RMRS thing; show
me what the HoG produces for a given sentence with TNT /
chunkie / RASP / ERG."  These sorts of things just shouldn't
be too much to ask, regardless of whether the user has a Mac,
a Windows PC, or a Linux system.

So, it would seem like a natural match to go for more of an
ASP (application service providing) sort of model for getting
the software out there.

I'll happily volunteer my 32-bit linux server as an initial
guinea pig.  Developers would simply install and test their
stuff on that server, and users could connect using X11.

>From the users' perspective:

   The vast majority of users would probably, in a first step,
   only want to play around with some stuff to see how the
   software can help them with their research problems.
   At that stage, we can help them by sparing them all the
   hoops they would otherwise have to jump through to set
   up the software in their own computing environments.

   In a second step, when they decide they need to spend
   lots of CPU time, they could contribute some PVM nodes
   to a central cluster, or use the central installation
   as a useful point of reference to do their own installation.
   In any case: They would be motivated, at that point to
   get stuff going, where they might otherwise have given
   up long ago.

>From the developers' perspective:

   It must surely be easier for developers to install their
   stuff once and for all, than it is to develop and document
   a deployment process.  Plus, they can actually test and
   debug that installation on behalf of users who are technically
   clueless (and who have every right to want to stay that way),
   rather than sending error-messages back and forth on the
   mailing list.

   And, more importantly, we could leave it up the the developer
   of a specific software component, or of a specific interface
   between two components, to maintain its central installation.
   Surely, this would make life a lot easier for the build manager,
   or even make that role unnecessary altogether.

   When users have specific needs, not met by the central
   installation, one way or another, there is no way around
   the user actually interacting with the developers of the
   specific components involved, to get things going on their
   own machines.

Am I making any sense at all, or is this just the worst
idea of the century?

Richard