[developers] Characterisation in cheap

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at ifk.uni-bonn.de
Wed Aug 19 13:17:37 CEST 2009

Dear Stephan,

trying to add characterisation to HaG, I experienced some surprising
behaviour with cheap -t.

Currently, there is no characterisation on GPREDs, regardless of whether
they are set within the grammar or not. LKB by contrast appears to
honour GPREDs set in the grammar.

To test with the ERG, try

echo "John, Paul, and George  barked." | \
cheap -t -cm -nsolutions=1 -mrs  english

You'll find there is no characterisation on the implicit_conj_rel.

To test with HaG, try:

echo "nama muka ci" |cheap -t -cm -mrs hausa

In the LKB, the focus_d_rel spans fronted nama only (grammar-supplied),
in cheap no character spans are present.

Am I missing something, or is this simply a bug?
Any help is appreciated.

Berthold

PS:

Setting or unsetting MRS-CFROM-PATH etc. seems to have no effect.