[developers] PET morphology

Bart Cramer bart.cramer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 21:26:32 CET 2009

Dear all,

I am currently facing the following issue, and I was hoping one of you could
help. A feature of the system we have is that morphological rules can form
chains. However, I would like to prevent that, and wrote the following
supertype for all inflectional rules:

lex-infl-rule := lex-rule &
[ ARGS   < [ SYNSEM #synsem,
            INFL   - ] >,
 SYNSEM #synsem,
 INFL   + ].

However, I still get the chains. For instance, with the following entries in
the irregs.tab file, "weißen" is ultimately recognised as a form of the verb
"wissen", after applying the two inflectional rules:

"
weißen IR-ADJ-MW-*-*-PL weiß
weiß IR-VERB-NPD-PR-1-SG wissen
"

with verbose output, I get:

(2654 v-slash-none 0 0 1 [root-inf-final] [ir-verb-npd-pr-1-sg
ir-adj-mw-*-*-pl]
  (2651 v-branch-right 0 0 1 [ir-verb-npd-pr-1-sg ir-adj-mw-*-*-pl]
    (2650 ir-verb-npd-inf 0 0 1 [ir-verb-npd-pr-1-sg ir-adj-mw-*-*-pl]
      (4 verb-wissen-21/lt-verb-reg-npnom 0 0 1 [ir-verb-npd-inf
ir-verb-npd-pr-1-sg ir-adj-mw-*-*-pl]
        (1 "weißen" 0 0 1 <0:1>)))))

An unexpected result, as the output of the adjectival rule can be chained to
other rules, even though that shouldn't unify (because of the INFL feature).

When outputting in tsdb, that same reading only 'sees' the last application
of a morphological rule (that might be a separate bug):

1 at 9@-1 at -1@-1 at -1@-1 at -1@-1 at -1@(root-inf-final (2654 v-slash-none 0 0 1 (2651
v-branch-right 0 0 1 (2650 ir-verb-npd-inf 0 0 1 (4 verb-wissen-21 0 0 1
("weißen" 1 "\\"weißen\\""))))))@@@@

The whole thing works fine in LKB, and turning chart mapping on or off
doesn't help.

Can anybody give me a hint what can be wrong, either in the grammar itself,
the settings files, or in PET? I have a little, separate tree, where this
issue is singled out (small lexicon), which might speed up debugging. Any
help is welcome!

Best,

Bart.