[developers] Stack overflow in generator unpack-edge

Dan Flickinger danf at stanford.edu
Sat Jan 16 10:11:08 CET 2010

Thanks, Berthold, for that very good suggestion to run the generator on my problematic example with packing turned off.  I could then immediately see that I had recently introduced a bug into the lexical entry for the complementizer `for', which led to serious overgeneration.  Now that I have fixed the bug, the example generates fine, both without and with packing.

Thus it seems that at least in some cases, the generator with packing on will produce a "Stack overflow" message on an item where generating without packing produces the more informative usual warning about a possibly recursive rule, which is then immediately visible in the generator chart.   So perhaps there is no need to change anything in the generator -- sensible grammar developers will of course remember to examine problematic generation examples with packing disabled.

Sorry for the false alarm, developers.

 Dan