[developers] no utf-8 in parse browser.

C.J. Adams-Collier cjac at colliertech.org
Tue Jan 26 01:08:11 CET 2010

It's looking much better now... I haven't figured out how to do the
tracing yet, though.

It looks like a number of our "odd" characters are being converted to
tabs.  In the case of our combining characters, they are being stripped
from their base characters which are printed bare.  After the base
character, there is printed a tab:

č̓ has its ̓  stripped.  It is printed as "č "
l̕ has its ̕  stripped.  It is printed as "l "
x̣ has its ̣  stripped.  It is printed as "x "

These characters are replaced with tabs:

ʷ ʔ ə ƛ̕ ɬ

It looks like characters are considered to be "odd" if they are not in
the codepage for the locale.  My locale is en_US.UTF-8 and contains the
non-ascii characters that are being displayed correctly, but does not
include those being replaced with tab characters.

I hope this helps you track down the problem.  If someone can give me
some step-by-step instructions for tracing the code, I'd be happy to do
so.

This could also just be a simple case of missing a particular font.
There are quite a few font warnings when I start up the lkb.  I've
attached the warning logs.

Thanks for your patience with this, and for allowing me to clutter your
list!

C.J.