[developers] developers Digest, Vol 66, Issue 3

Ant—onio Branco Antonio.Branco at di.fc.ul.pt
Thu Jul 8 15:33:56 CEST 2010

Hi Stephan,

Stephan Oepen wrote:
> hi antonio et al.,
>
> there are really two aspects to be considered here: (b) the surface
> format used in handing PET an annotated token lattice, and (b) the
> details of how PET interprets various parts of its input.  in terms of
> current code consolidation plans, (b) is probably more important.  there
> is a fair amount of special-purpose, procedural machinery in this area
> that we would like to eliminate.  the ideal outcome, in my view, is to
> reduce the set of properties on input tokens that PET needs to know
> about to three: a string for lexical lookup, a binary flag indicating
> internal vs. externel morphological analysis, and a list of identifiers
> (of orthographemic rules), in the case of external morphology.
> everything else (e.g. characterization, use of annotation for unknown
> word handling, custom CARGs or synthesized PREDs) can be done in the
> grammar, i believe.  this worked out well for the ERG.
>
> so the main goal really should be interface simplification, and we
> should ask: how far is the portuguese grammar removed from the above
> ideal?

Most likely as much as a grammar can possibly be, since all that
is "below/before" configurational syntax (and even bits of this in
case one include NER in this realm) is obtained outside/before
the grammar, and this is what goes in our input (pic) representation:
- surface form
- lemma
- inflection features
- ner

Also a key reason to being using PIC is the ability provided
to constrain POS tag of input words that are neverrtheless
(ambigously) known to the grammar/lexicon.

> and how much effort would be involved in making the transition?

Given our funding conditions: unaffordable.

Given our medium to long term goal, i.e. to get as fast as possible
to a set of materials for Portuguese with size and maturity of those
existing for English:  redoing what took us several years of time
is also unaffordable

> i understand you are about to experiment with migrating to token mapping
> for independent reasons,

not necessarily: we are living (for almost one year now) with our
patch for the HCONS problem in MRSs and waiting for a principled
solution that permits just removing that patch

best,

--Ant.

and i wholeheartedly believe you stand to gain