[developers] Logon on Ubuntu 10.04

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Sun Sep 12 13:30:43 CEST 2010

hi again, bart, and thanks for sending that log file.

it appears you are experiencing an instance of this issue:

   http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eglibc/+bug/574726

so far only the latest Ubuntu seems advanced enough to break backwards
compatibility for statically linked binaries; no similar reports from
users of other distributions (yet).

the thread above suggests a work-around, which i would encourage
people to try (unless one decided to switch to Fedora or RedHat, which
are the dominant environments used in building these binaries for
DELPH-IN).

in the Debian thread linked from the one above, there is also a
suggestion that even in static binaries one needs to think hard about
dynamic library versions.  i fear i will have to look into this
question more, together with maintainers of binaries in the LOGON
tree; there are a few more statically linked ones (besides ‘yzlui’
and ‘pangolui’), which i would also expect to break in the greatest
and latest Ubuntu now.

in case anyone succeeds with the above work-around in the meantime,
please report to the list.

best, oe