[developers] Partial Parsing

Francis Bond bond at ieee.org
Fri Dec 9 01:47:29 CET 2011

G'day,

We are doing a couple of things where partial parsing is useful
(learning translations and aligning parses: in both cases partial
results can be used).   I have a couple of questions.

(a) what is the recommended way of calling this.  My best guess is
'cheap -robust=1 -mrs -partial japanese'  i am loading a generative
model "gm := "tc.gm"." I am not sure if this model is the right one
for robust=1.

(b) When we turn partial and MRS on, what exactly gets output?  I was
expecting MRSs from edges that combine to form a spanning non-parse,
but it seems that we get more than that (e.g. some words appear more
than once in the output).  I append an example to this mail.  Is this
the expected result?  Is there any combinations of settings that will
get a single spanning non-parse (I am sure there is a better name for
it).

(c) has anyone anywhere done something that stitches the MRS fragments
together?  For our purposes almost anything would do (e.g.
lump(e,h1,h2)) with as many lump_rels as needed to fix the bits
together, ...  this would allow us to pass the fragments to the MT
module and get candidate fragment translations for alignment.

yours,

--
Francis Bond <http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/fcbond/>
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies

Called with:  cheap -robust=1 -mrs -partial -results=1 japanese
猫 を 猫 を 追う
(2) `猫 を 猫 を 追う' [0] --- 0 (-0.00|0.00s) <9:27> (151.4K) [0.0s]

 [ LTOP: h1
   INDEX: x2 [ x PERS: 3 ]
   RELS: <
          [ udef_q_rel<0:1>
            LBL: h3
            ARG0: x2
            RSTR: h5
            BODY: h4 ]
          [ "_neko_n_rel"<0:1>
            LBL: h6
            ARG0: x2 ] >
   HCONS: < h5 qeq h6 > ]

 [ LTOP: h1
   INDEX: e2 [ e TENSE: PRES MOOD: INDICATIVE PROG: - PERF: - SF: PROP
ASPECT: DEFAULT_ASPECT PASS: - ]
   RELS: <
          [ udef_q_rel<2:3>
            LBL: h3