[developers] subsumption packing and index accessibility filtering incompatible?

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Mon Aug 6 16:41:19 CEST 2012

Regarding my previous post of this subject, here is a slightly more concrete example that Stephan came up with, demonstrating how the problem can happen.

>  X: [ FOO v, BAR v ]
>  Y: [ FOO v ]
>
>  R: [ BAR #bar, ARGS < [ BAR #bar ] > ]

Then we find:

R(X): [ BAR v ]
R(Y): [ ]

> in a minimal forest, we would like Y in the chart, X packed
> into Y, and R(Y) in the chart

It is indeed the case that R(X) would pack into R(Y), but since the variable 'v' has become inaccessible in the application of rule R to edge Y, index accessibility filtering may reject edge R(Y), leaving R(X) without a representative.

Woodley