[developers] Inter-annotator agreement for Redwoods treebanks

Dan Flickinger danf at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 15 19:38:06 CEST 2013

I think this Tanaka et al (2005) paper describes the nearest to an accepted set of measures for inter-annotator agreement with our treebanks, computing a harmonic mean of precision across labeled constituents, rather than measuring agreement of discriminants.  Here is a link to that paper:
http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu/P/P05/P05-1041.pdf
MacKinlay et al (2010) adopts this approach as well, in this paper:
http://aclweb.org/anthology//I/I11/I11-1028.pdf

The problem with measuring agreement on discriminants is that there is a lot of redundancy in the list of discriminants presented to the annotator, and two annotators can arrive at exactly the same tree by making almost completely disjoint manual discriminant choices, for example with one annotator working "top-down" (initially making spanning-level choices of phrasal constructions) and the other working "bottom-up" (initially making lexical disambiguation choices).

 Dan