[developers] DELPH-IN Joint Reference Formalism (JRF) documentation

Glenn Slayden glenn at thai-language.com
Sun Dec 1 22:48:27 CET 2013

Hello all,

I propose that we start a comprehensive 'tagged' section of the Wiki, perhaps "Jrf*" (or "Jrs*", see next paragraph) which would aim
to unify, centralize, and coordinate documentation pertaining to standards and compliance within the DELPH-IN 'joint reference
formalism.'

(For those who feel that this type of information constitutes engineering "specifications" rather than declarations of our formal
axioms, I am agnostic to the naming of this meta-section. In fact, I suggest we distinguish "joint reference formalism" from "joint
reference specification." A start at a conflation of the two seems to be here: http://moin.delph-in.net/DelphinRfcs )

Anyway, this occurred to me when I went looking for a page on our so-called "Lkb morphology." This technology, although pioneered
and developed in the context of the Lkb, is now a standardized part of our specification, uniformly supported by four processing
engines, so creating a new page titled 'LkbMorphology' seemed regressive. The page I sought doesn't exist, but if it did, it could
have peers (including existing pages renamed) such as:

JrsTop - index to the following pages
JrsTdl
JrsRepp
JrsTokenMapping
JrsMorphology
JrsLexicalFiltering
JrsChartDependencies
JrsParsing
JrsGeneration
JrsTransfer
etc.

Deprecated technologies would not be admitted or maintained under this tag, so the meta-tag itself serves to document our notions of
contemporary, modular, and supported NLP processing steps. If separating out the truly formal, that umbrella might include only
direct relatives of the formal grammar tuple, e.g.

JrfHpsg
JrfMrs
JrfRootSymbols
JrfLexicon