[developers] MOD value in predicative only adjectives

Dan Flickinger danf at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 25 01:55:27 CEST 2014

I'm not quite sure, Emily, what you mean by "potentially attributive".  There are adjectives like "mere" that can only appear prenominally, and it is this positional ability that I associate with "attributive" adjectives.  The other common places for adjectives are either as postnominal modifiers, or in the copula construction, and both of these I take to be characteristic of "predicative" adjectives.  Maybe I'm overlooking some other context in which an adjective like "mere" could occur, but I don't see it.  Hence the property [PRD -] exactly means "I only appear as a prenominal modifier" (equivalent to "I am an attributive adjective"), and [PRD +] means "I do not appear as a prenominal modifier, but I can (potentially) appear either postnominally, or with a copula" (equivalent to "I am a predicative adjective").  Adjectives like "afraid" are lexically constrained to be [PRD +].  Most adjectives are underspecified for PRD, and hence can behave as either attributive or predicative.  The ERG lexicon includes a large set of lexical entries of the attributive-adjective type, but the great majority of these are hyphenated phrases treated as multi-words (a kind of grammar hack), or are words like "downstream" that also have a predicative entry which might also serve as a VP-modifier, so I divide their work into "attribute adjective" and "lexical PP" (where PPs can only be post-head or appear with the copula).  Some other `true' attributives include "everyday", "foster", "future", "inner", "kindred", "lone", "mock", "other", "overall", "teenage", "utter", and maybe "veritable".  Some true "predicative-only" adjectives include "a-" guys like "abed", "afraid", "ablaze", etc., but also "galore" (probably not with copula), "so" meaning "true" as in "that is so", maybe "ready" meaning "prepared", where "a ready smile" has a different sense, and probaby "well" meaning "healthy".

 - Dan