[developers] Fwd: stack overflow on generation

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Tue Dec 9 21:47:41 CET 2014

Dear all,

Antariksh and I have hit a generation debugging mystery, that I'm hoping
for some help with.  Our grammar (of Marathi) can generate for some strings
(with both ace and lkb) but for this particular item:

*ravi vicaar-t-o kii tsor zhop-t-o kaa*
(Ravi asks if the thief sleeps)

it gives a "Stack overflow (signal 1000)" error on the lkb and just no
results with ace.  Turning packing off doesn't affect things.  I played
around a bit and found that if I set *maximum-number-of-edges* to 717, I
run out of edges before the stack overflow, but with 718 or more it's back
to that. (I tried diffing the output of (pprint *gen-chart*) in those two
conditions, but that wasn't informative ... too many spurious differences.)
batch-check-morphology() ran happily for a while and then returned nil,
which I assume means no problems.  Setting *gen-packing-p* to nil doesn't
change the behavior.

This is clearly a problem with the grammar, but I'm at a loss as to how to
localize it.  Are there any other tools or strategies I should be aware of?


In case it's helpful, the grammar can be found here:

ace output:

ubuntu at UbuntuLKB:~/Downloads/mar$ ace -g mar.dat -Tf1 | ace -g mar.dat -e
ravi vicaar-t-o kii tsor zhop-t-o kaa
NOTE: 1 readings, added 653 / 401 edges to chart (76 fully instantiated, 84
actives used, 49 passives used)    RAM: 3766k
NOTE: 122 passive, 620 active edges in final generation chart; built 305
passives total. [0 results]

Emily M. Bender
Professor, Department of Linguistics
Check out CLMS on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/uwclma
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.delph-in.net/archives/developers/attachments/20141209/c6e9f804/attachment.html>

More information about the developers mailing list