[developers] Arabic transliteration

Francis Bond bond at ieee.org
Fri Jan 9 01:56:33 CET 2015

G'day,

> I'm about to start working on an Arabic grammar and I have a transliteration
> problem.
>
> The most common Arabic transliteration schema is Buckwalter's
> (http://www.qamus.org/transliteration.htm), which is case sensitive and uses
> some special characters (|,>, <, %, }, {, *,', `).
>
> Do you know if there's a way to use this transliteration with the LKB?
>
> If not – any suggestions for a different schema?

Is there any reason not just to use unicode (utf8) for the characters
and write them in Arabic directly?  I think this works pretty much
everywhere it should (although I have not tested it with composing
characters).

--
Francis Bond <http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/fcbond/>
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies