[developers] ERG paraphrasing with ACE

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Fri Jan 30 02:21:07 CET 2015

Hi Francis,

ACE has a couple of mechanisms for automatically applying transfer rules, but they only work with unambiguous transfer rule sets.  You can load transfer rules with tdl status "fixup-rule" to make them apply before generation or tdl status "cleanup-rule" to make them apply after parsing (and also after generation, though most people don't look at the MRS that is generated with a realization).  I don't think this will work for  you though because when the rules are ambiguous, the system just takes the first result (and prints a warning).

So, assuming you want fan out, you need to put a separate transfer grammar phase in the middle.

Regards,
Woodley