[developers] questions about PET/ERG system

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Wed Apr 8 18:31:52 CEST 2015

dear ping,

there is some documentation on the general unknown word handling
mechanisms in PET:

  http://moin.delph-in.net/PetInput

for the modern ERG, only the newer method is actively supported (and
tested in the past ten or so years), i.e. for most use cases of the
ERG one wants to enable REPP (string normalization and tokenization;
see ‘ReppTop’ on the wiki), token mapping, the modern, controlled way
of unknown word instantiation (‘default-les=all’), and lexical
filtering.  token mapping and lexical filtering, together, are often
called chart mapping (‘-cm’).  one easy-to-use way of using the ERG is
within the LOGON environment, see:

  http://moin.delph-in.net/ErgProcessing

but it sounds as if you want a little more control than those
pre-defined configurations, maybe.  a good starting point for invoking
PET could be a command line along the following lines:

  cheap -repp -cm -default-les=all -packing \
    -nsolutions=1 -mrs -memlimit=4096 -timeout=60 english.grm

best wishes, oe