[developers] Reduplication in morpholgy

Francis Bond bond at ieee.org
Mon Sep 14 03:45:35 CEST 2015

Thanks Berthold (and Woodley).

This looks very promising, if a bit daunting (my mastery of the chart
mapping machinery is still shaky).   We will try it out, and probably
pester
 you with more questions.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Berthold Crysmann
<berthold.crysmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> chart mapping in the LKB, or else for having a complete ace-based
> development environment.
>
> 4. Outlook: Chinese and Indonesian
>
> As far as I can tell, my approach for Hausa should be straightforward to
> port to these two languages. There is the question of the X: you would
> probably treat that as a morphophonological effect of some rule application
> (I guess). So, given our technologies, the most straightforward thing to do
> is place all morphophonological changes on the base. That leaves you free to
> impose simple total identity on the reduplicant: just choose the right
> moment in the derivation (thanks to Woodley who has just fixed the recording
> of orth values in ace an hour or two ago). If that should not be viable
> (there are languages like that), one needs to replicate some of the
> morphology in token mapping. For reference, look at how the ERG deals with
> plurals of unknown words.
>

> All the best,
>
> Berthold
>

> On 08/09/15 16:26, Berthold Crysmann wrote:
>>
>> Hi Francis,
>>
>> I guess you only worry about total reduplication. While in principle in
>> Chinese you could get away with using string unification (thanks to the
>> script, word length is limited), but specifying the letter set will not be
>> much for for either humans or machines....
>>
>> I am currently working on total reduplication in my Hausa grammar. I had a
>> first solution that is non-compositional in the semantics. I.e. I just use a
>> binary rule that glues the stuff together, conditioned on identity of
>> predicates, but throws away the semantic contribution in the reduplicant.
>> Works in parsing, but needs *item-specific* trigger rules in generation.
>>
>> Right now, I am exploring with ersatzing. Things should work well as long
>> as only one of the reduplicants undergoes additional morphology. Otherwise,
>> you'll have to memoise parts of the original string, so you can apply
>> regular morphophonological changes to the reduplicant. Seems to work in the
>> LKB.
>>
>> I shall commit that new analysis very soon. I shall also send you a
>> detailed description.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Berthold
>>
>> On 08/09/15 15:28, Francis Bond wrote:
>>>
>>> G'day,
>>>
>>> we are working with a couple of languages where we would like to be
>>> able to write lexical rules that do things like:
>>>
>>> Take a two character word in Chinese (AB)
>>> AB -> ABAB
>>> AB -> AABB
>>> AB -> AAB
>>> AB -> ABXAB (where X is fixed by the rule)
>>> AB -> AXAB
>>> AB -> AXB
>>>
>>> Take a one character word (A):
>>> A -> AA
>>> A -> AXA
>>> A -> AAX
>>>
>>> In Indonesian we want to take an arbitrary word and produce a duplicate

>>> and

--
Francis Bond <http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/fcbond/>
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies