[developers] Realizational v. incremental morphology

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Mon Nov 9 20:02:05 CET 2015

Thank you, Olivier.  I think your example helps clarify things somewhat:
the incremental/realizational distinction is puzzling from an HPSG
perspective
at least in part because unification makes multiple exponence a non-issue,
but I still think that the process-neutral stance of HPSG is the deeper
reason.

With apologies for replying without doing my homework (i.e. reading the
journal
paper): It's hard for me to grasp how a system without any intermediate
representations will scale to languages with long strings of position
classes
housing, among other things, valence changing or other derivational
morphology.
Perhaps I'll be enlightened when I read the paper!

Emily