[developers] smallish native DMRS grammar

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 18 18:44:43 CET 2015

I have just checked in to the LKB svn repo a small grammar - dmrscomp -
and some code that extracts simple DMRSs directly from the feature
structures produced by that grammar rather than going via MRS and RMRS.
This is based on the mrscomp grammar (though with some clean up and
minor extension) - there's a fairly detailed README file.  There are a
fair number of items on the TO-DO list - possibly the most
time-consuming one would be to make the generator code work with this
grammar, not because there's any big problem (that I can think of) but
because the generator is quite complicated.  There is also a promise of
more detailed notes, which I will supply relatively soon, I hope - this
was an interesting exercise in thinking through semantic composition.

If someone would like to collaborate on trying a similar exercise with a
larger grammar, I'd be very interested.  It would help if it were a
grammar which already had the characteristic variable property, in which
case I think the main part of the conversion should be fairly easy.

There are a number of potential advantages in constructing DMRS
directly, including the ability to construct a DMRS forest directly from
a parse forest.  I would argue that it also enforces some notions of
semantic well-formedness more directly than is possible with MRS -
obviously including the (equivalent of) characteristic variable
property.  The semantic `fingerprint' of constructions can be expressed
more simply, because DMRS removes much of the redundancy of MRS.  But,
of course, this is only interesting if we really can express everything
we want to with DMRS.

All best,