[developers] ICONS and generation

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Fri Feb 5 22:30:20 CET 2016

Not sure if this answers the question, but a couple of comments:

(a) I do think that written English is largely underspecified for
information structure.
It's part of what makes good writing good that the information structure is
made apparent
somehow.

(b) I think the "I want only the unmarked form back" case might be handled
by either
a setting which says "no ICONS beyond what as in the input" (i.e. your
ICONS { }) or
a pre-processing/generation fix-up rule that takes ICONS { ... } and
outputs something
that would be incompatible with anything but the unmarked form.  Or maybe
the
subsumption check goes the wrong way for this one?

I hope Sanghoun has something to add here!

Emily

--
Emily M. Bender
Professor, Department of Linguistics