[developers] Lexical rules changing predicate symbols

Joshua Crowgey jcrowgey at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 7 21:44:28 CEST 2016

Hello folks,

Where this is probably relevant for Lushootseed is that the language has
a system of derivational morphology which converts intransitives to
transitives (causatives and applicatives), and this is present in nearly
every word which denotes a predicate with more than one role player.  I
think it's worthwhile to consider this from the perspective of
translations of these predicates: the correlates of almost all of the
'basic' transitive verbs of English are going to be built in Lushootseed
from some sort of underlying, monovalent root and one of these
deriviational affixes.  I think it has been traditional to represent
morphological causatives by positing a new event variable which
represents the causing situation.  But, I saw that there was no such
variable in the English predicate symbols that we use for the
translation equivalents of these Lushootseed sentences.  For example
(Hess LR1 p.18):

ʔuk̓ʷəɬəd ti qʷuʔ
PRF-k̓ʷəɬ-CAUSE DET water
[Someone] poured the water

ʔuk̓ʷəɬdxʷ ti qʷuʔ
PRF-k̓ʷəɬ-CAUSE.OOC DET water
[Someone] spilled the water

This example shows how an unaccusative root k̓ʷəɬ 'be poured out' can
form the basis for a 'causative' transitive predicate.  Compare the
lexical predicates such as _poured_v_rel and _spilled_v_rel in our
English grammar which are arg12-relations.  It's not clear to me that
Lushootseed should have to posit two-event transitives just because the
morphology shows how transitives are built.  Looking at this the other
way, should "Kim closed the door" require an event for Kim's causation
as well as one for the closing?

Those are the reasons why I started using a criticized MRS
representation cheat---what Emily has called 'half-hog RMRS'.  I had my
transitivizing morphology add a predication which was to be interpreted
as adding an argument to an existing e-type variable.  I did this by
sharing an ARG0.  For me, the above sentences from Hess would be:

_k̓ʷəɬ_v_be.poured_rel
ARG0 e1
ARG1 x2

_d_x_CAUSE_rel
ARG0 e1
ARG1 x3

_qʷuʔ_v_water_rel
ARG0 x2

(looking at this, I realize it's probably important to say that the
examples above can take a subject marker: this valence position is
introduced by the transitivizer even though it's not filled (or it's
filled by 3rd person singular) in these examples above.)

On my strange MRS, I wanted the interpretation to be something like:

k̓ʷəɬ_v_be.poured_rel(e1, x2) & CAUSE(e1,x3)

There are some akwardnesses about this to be sure, but for me it
captured both the fact that I could see the structure of the wordform
(ie, I could build the transitive from the intransitive) and that I
didn't want the meaning to add additional events.

So, with respect to Ann's examples in this thread, I think the main
thing that I can see is that it may be useful for me to capture these
relationships that I'm interested in without abusing the ARG0 in the way
that I have been.  In my case, there would actually be morphology for
the lexical rule, which, if anything, I would think just strengthens the
case for capturing this in the grammar.