[developers] QUERY REGARDING GERMAN GRAMMAR'S MRS GENERATION

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 11 01:01:16 CET 2016

Hi Naman,

Apologies for the late reply.

The properties whose names begin with hyphens (e.g. --PSV) are problematic
in DMRS XML, because it results in the following structure:

    <sortinfo --psv="non-apsv" [...] />

XML attribute names may not begin with hyphens (
https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#NT-NameStartChar), so the XML parser throws an
error. PyDelphin is not currently doing anything to remedy this situation,
but I'm not sure what is the appropriate change to make. Perhaps PyDelphin
should just throw a more descriptive error message rather than attempt to
modify the attribute name or (currently) do nothing. I can recommend a few
remedies for you:

 1. Rename properties such as "--PSV" to "__PSV" (or something) before
MRS->DMRS conversion, and then rename it back on DMRS->MRS conversion.

 2. Use the DMRS-JSON format instead of DMRX (since JSON is not affected by
this issue).

 3. Remove the --PSV property (and similar) entirely, if they are not
valuable for your work.

Does this help?