[developers] Latest ERG not generating unknown names with ACE

Dan Flickinger danf at stanford.edu
Sun Apr 16 01:28:18 CEST 2017

Woodley, your prediction was a good one.  If I comment out the loading of that file in `english.tdl' and recompile, then the unknown proper names work right again, and similarly if I comment out each of the rules in the file but load it, all is still well.  But if I uncomment any one of the rules, we lose the proper names again.  So it would seem that the very act of tampering with the orthography in post-generation interacts badly with whatever the clever step is that causes the CARG value of the unknown proper name to be realized as its surface orthography.

 Dan