[developers] Difference between neg_rel/modifiers and modals

Guy Emerson gete2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 19 22:16:33 CEST 2017

So with the modals and attitude, we're saying that there's a state, which
bears some relation to the embedded event, and both the state and embedded
event can be modified.

I think this kind of situation can also happen with habituals, without
introducing an extra predicate:

"I didn't used to brush my teeth for long enough, but for the past year,
I've been brushing for two minutes"

In terms of the denotation, we have many brushing events lasting two
minutes, and a habitual state lasting a year.  A more minimal example:

"Kim brushed for two minutes for a year"

Some word orders seem weird (but maybe okay with the right intonation):

?"Kim brushed for a year for two minutes"
"For a year, Kim brushed for two minutes"
?"For two minutes, Kim brushed for a year"

So if want to introduce an extra event variable for modals, it seems to me
that we might want do the same for habituals, too, even though they can be
unmarked in English.

For (2a) and (2b), I think we can capture the difference without
necessarily referring to the neg "event", by using label sharing to control
whether the adverbial scopes above or below negation (my "option 2"
below).  So for (2b), the claim would be that fronted adverbials have to
take high scope, i.e. share a label with the LTOP rather than the INDEX.
In MRS, this would be immediate, since the INDEX's label is no longer
available.  In DMRS, it would have to be a syntactic constraint (you know,
maybe this reading is fine in Turkish).

In this analysis, the negation has to act on an expression with a free
variable (the event), rather than a proposition, so that the event is still
available for the adverbial when it takes high scope.  Negation is still
easy to define, but rather than inverting truth values, it's inverting
truth-conditional functions.  (In type-theoretic terms, it's of the form
<<e,t>,<e,t>>.)

That is, rather than not(speak(e)), we have not(speak)(e), so that we can
write not(speak)(e)&for-a-long-time(e), which would contrast with the other
reading not(speak&for-a-long-time)(e).  But then I don't think it really
matters whether "not" or "speak" is introducing this "e".  If we say that
"not" is introducing an event, it's effectively just wrapping the event
from "speak", anyway.

If we're happy to do that, then we could perhaps extend this approach to
modals - can(close) takes a truth-conditional function that's true of
closing events, and returns a truth-conditional function that's true of
able-to-close states.  The embedded verb's event never gets quantified,
which is perhaps reasonable - "Kim can close the window" can be true even
if Kim never closes the window.

This would make negation and modals look formally very similar, even though
the modal states look very different from the embedded verb events.

So maybe these events aren't so problematic after all?  And I'm sure
there's a literature on this that I should read.