[developers] [Matrix-dev] poll: stack exchange?

Olga Zamaraeva olzama at uw.edu
Fri Jul 21 21:51:04 CEST 2017

Hi Michael,

I would try participating in the linguistics forum; I looked at it but most
questions there seemed very far from engineering, I don't know if that
means our questions would be considered off-topic. We could try!

I have always looked at these sites from the perspective of a person
searching for an answer; for that, they seem much, much better than a
mailing list, because the answers are reusable and easily discoverable,
given a certain mass of material of course.

I am not sure how this looks from an answerer's perspective. In fact I have
no idea how stackoverflow does it; do answerers actively search for
questions to answer? I doubt it, and certainly this won't be the case for
most people from our crowd (I don't think). Do people feel like sharing
good solutions they themselves have just found? Then they look whether
there is a question about it (and in case of Stackoverflow, there likely
will be) and answer it? A more likely scenario (I have done that myself on
tex-exchange), and I do see sometimes that people answer their own
questions; there is even a genre of an "answer in the question", when
someone gives the answer right in the question's body, and those tend to be
very clear and get lots of upvotes.