[developers] dot.emacs redefinition of 'unless' and 'when'

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at uw.edu
Tue Dec 19 17:12:00 CET 2017

Hi Developers,

Does anyone know why ${LOGONROOT}/dot.emacs redefines the 'unless' and
'when' macros? It breaks some other Emacs packages I have that depend on
the return value of the 'unless', which should be the value of the last
argument. I'm aware that 'unless' and 'when' should be used when the return
value is *not* important (according to
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WhenToUseIf), but do we have to enforce
that suggestion by redefining the macros so they don't return the last
value?

Also see
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Conditionals.html,
which says that 'unless' is equivalent to:

    (if condition nil
       a b c)

Thanks

--