[developers] post-reduction lexical gap

Dan Flickinger danf at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 20 09:57:44 CET 2017

Hi Olga,

This error message from ACE occurs when your grammar includes one or more token-mapping (preprocessing) rules which conspire to delete all of the edges from one of the cells in the initial parse chart, so that the parser cannot hope to find a covering analysis.  For the ERG, this occasionally happens when I adjust the rules for inserting lexical entries for unknown words, and then try to filter some of those added entries in case I already have a "native" entry for that word.  I imagine you must have one or more rules in a file like the ERG's "lfr.tdl" which discard some unwanted entries before parsing.  Try commenting out these rules and see if the error message for that sentence disappears. You can see the error just by trying to parse that one sentence directly with ACE.

 Dan