[developers] mocking a POS-tagger to handle unk words

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at uw.edu
Fri Mar 23 00:10:49 CET 2018

Following Woodley's suggestion, for YY-mode I can point you to a few things.

In Jacy, we use POS tags from an external morphological analyzer
(previously Chasen; recently MeCab). We have a script that takes the output
of MeCab and transforms it into the YY format. Note the definition of the
pos_info variable---it holds POS data that is slightly more complex than a
simple, e.g., NNS or VBG tag.

    https://github.com/delph-in/jacy/blob/develop/utils/jpn2yy

Then see gle.tdl in Jacy, which maps the POS "tags" to generic lexical
entries:

    https://github.com/delph-in/jacy/blob/develop/gle.tdl.

For ACE (and presumably other processors) you might also need to define
paths to the token info:

    https://github.com/delph-in/jacy/blob/develop/ace/config.tdl#L143-L151

When you call ACE you'll need to tell it to expect YY input. I think it's
the -y option. There might be some other pieces to this that Woodley or
Francis can probably fill in for you. In my experiments, YY mode did help a
bit for getting parses where the standard machinery for unknowns failed.

If you're working in Python, then PyDelphin's 'tokens' module can help with
constructing YY input. This section of the relevant unit tests might be
informative:

https://github.com/delph-in/pydelphin/blob/develop/tests/tokens_test.py#L40-L59

--
Michael Wayne Goodman