[developers] on-line demo / simple sentence

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Sat Apr 7 00:03:38 CEST 2018

As Olga pointed out, these are passive readings.  They correspond to something like:

X did a good job.
X did him.
He is done( by X).

X did his neighbor a favor.
X did his homework a favor.
? X did his homework him.
?? He is done his homework( by X).

I suspect the reading you are looking for instead involves a sense of "done" conveying completion of an unspecified event, rather than a passive variant of "do".  I’m not sure that sense is implemented in the ERG, although I can’t speak for Dan for sure on that.  I see parses with that sense when the event in question is an explicit complement of the adjective "done", e.g. for:

He is done eating.

Best,
-Woodley